Employer Exchange Notices Receive Extension
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has extended the expiration date for employer exchange notices, also known as model notices, through May 31, 2020. This means employers can continue using the existing model notices for distribution to employees.
Employers are required to give all new hires a Notice of Marketplace Coverage Options within 14 days of hire. Employers must also distribute the model notices to existing employees annually. The DOL provides templates of model notices that are available for employers to download and customize for distribution to employees.
Employer Exchange Notice Reminders
In case you need a refresher course on model notices, here are some reminders:
- Distribute notices to all employees within 14 days of hire:
- This includes all full-time, part-time, seasonal, temporary, and union employees, regardless of whether eligible for health coverage at work.
- Do not distribute to dependents, retirees, former employees, or COBRA beneficiaries
- Model notices are posted on the DOL website. There is a version for employers that offer health coverage to some or all employees and a version for employers that do not have any group plans.
- Distribute the notice by first-class mail to employees’ homes. Employers may use electronic delivery if the method meets all DOL guidelines:
- The delivery method ensures actual receipt (such as via email directly to the employee);
- The employee regularly accesses the electronic media as an integral part of his or her regular job duties; and
- The employer notifies the employee of the significance of the material and that a paper copy is available at no cost upon request.
- Employers may be exempt from the notice requirement if they are are not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and if they are not a hospital, care facility, school or governmental agency.
Employer Exchange Notices
We have provided the DOL model notices below. They contain blank and custom items that must be completed by the employer before employee distribution.
How APS Can Help
APS provides several tools to help with ACA compliance and reporting, including model notice tracking and management. APS conveniently provides all model notice templates in the system, as well as email notifications and document management for online distribution and receipt tracking. Schedule a demo today and see how APS can help you streamline your compliance management!
Love What You Just Read?
Subscribe to our Awesome Blog.
[pardot-form height=”250″ id=”455″ title=”Subscribe to Blog”]